If you buy Overthrow at one of the bookstore events, which start next week, I can hand-stamp your copy.
Julian Lucas has written a very thoughtful and generous review of my new novel Overthrow, published this morning in the online version of the New York Times Book Review:
What follows is, essentially, a 19th-century social novel for the 21st-century surveillance state. Frequently alluding to Henry James’s “The Princess Casamassima,” another story of young radicals, Crain subjects his characters to quandaries that test their precariously entwined identities. The novel almost dares readers to object to its inwardness — “It’s like there’s a new sumptuary law against introspection,” one of the four complains — but its tender, psychologically precise prose feels like a bulwark against the exposure it takes for a subject.
I just got sent a copy of Overthrow as a finished book.
Plus, here’s the schedule for bookstore events in August and September. Please come, if you’re in Brooklyn, Manhattan, San Francisco, or Los Angeles! And please consider supporting these bookstores by buying your copy from one of them. Thanks!
- Tuesday, August 27, 7:30pm: Books Are Magic, 225 Smith St., Brooklyn. With readings by Christine Smallwood, Jana Prikryl, Daniel Smith, and Leon Neyfakh. Free admission. Telephone: (718) 246-2665.
- Thursday, September 5, 7:30pm: The Strand, 828 Broadway (at 12th St.), Manhattan. In conversation with Kate Bolick. Admission with the purchase of a signed copy of Overthrow or a Strand gift card. Telephone: (212) 473-1452.
- Sunday, September 8, 4pm: McNally-Jackson, South Street Seaport, 4 Fulton Street (a new location for the store!), Manhattan. In conversation with Astra Taylor. Free admission.
- Wednesday, September 18, 6pm: Book Passage, 1 Ferry Building, San Francisco. In conversation with Anna Wiener. Free admission. Telephone: (415) 835-1020.
- Saturday, September 21: Book Soup, 8818 Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood, California. In conversation with Elaine Blair. Free admission. Telephone: (310) 659-3110.
There’s an excerpt from my forthcoming novel Overthrow in the Readings section of the August 2019 issue of Harper’s magazine. The physical magazine showed up in our mailbox this weekend, so it’s probably on newsstands by now, too. Check it out, and order the novel itself early and often! It comes out August 27, but you can already buy it from your local independent bookstore, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and Viking itself.
I’m thrilled to be able to reveal the cover for my new novel, Overthrow, which is coming in August from Viking. The design is by the hugely talented Colin Webber, riffing on an 1893 print by Félix Vallotton called “La Manifestation” (“The Protest”).
Pre-order your copy now! A pre-order from you will help capitalism know that my book will reward the effort of selling it. You can order it from your local bookstore, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and half a dozen other sellers, including Viking itself. Thanks!